Tuesday, June 2, 2009

This is why I'm Fat - Part I

Kids, one piece of advice: eat up while you're young. I was helping out at the Engineering Alumni reunions this weekend, which was attended by many older alumni of graduating classes from 50's and 60's, and one going as far back as 1939. I guess your appetite shrinks significantly with age, in addition to shift of interest and values in life (networking as opposed to free food). Because at these reunions, there were WAY too much food left over. Had it been an undergraduate reunion, all this food would've disappeared within 30 min, if not less. However, at these reunions, tables of quality food were left untouched. As poor students, we could not bear to see the food go to waste like that, so we all packed up as much as we felt necessary to feed our starved, lazy friends.


I took enough sandwiches and fruits and veggies to have brunch, and fill up a couple of friends hungry from beach volleyball.

That was the stuff left from lunch. They had a reception for dinner during which plates after plates of cold cuts and crackers and bread were untouched. This one chef guy from the catering company actually took 3 full zip lock bags of salami, ham, and prosciutto to keep himself fed for the week.


I grabbed these modest bags of bread and meat to pass onto my guy friends who I know own an empty fridge and rely on Chinatown lunches and shawarmas to stay alive.......

I wonder how much food is wasted every day at these parties....too bad they can't be all collected and donated to food banks/people who need them because of hygiene issues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment