Thursday, June 25, 2009

Finally: Ruth's Chris Amazing Steakhouse

I've been wanting to try the oh-so-amazing food from what's been voted as one of Toronto's best steakhouses for a long, long time, and finally had the chance to do so on the weekend of my convocation.

We were having trouble with ordering right from the beginning. Every item in the appetizer section looked delicious and not-to-be-missed. After scrutinizing every item, we finally decided to started off with the Oyster Rockefellers ($19.95) with 6 plump, cooked oysters topped with chunks of soft onions, finely chopped spinach, all mixed in with a creamy, but not heavy, hollandaise sauce. We practically licked the shells clean.

For entree, since we wanted a filet mignon and a new york strip, we decided to order a Porterhouse for two ($99.95) to get the best of both worlds. The massive piece of meat came as 8 mini steaks severed from the bone. The waiter placed a burning dinner plate sizzling with hot butter in front me, and served me a piece of steak from the tender, filet side and another firmer one from the strip side to sear on my plate.



Our first steak turned out too be medium cooked rather than the medium rare we asked for. The waiter returned it to the kitchen and brought out another one in less than 5 min because he "pulled some favours in the kitchen". Can't complain about the service......nor the food.

Steak was just how a great steak should taste like. No fancy flavours to dress it up, just pure juicy, tender, flavourful meat, lightly dressed with butter, satisfying our carniverous needs.


We had Potatoe Au Gratin and Sauteed Mushrooms ($8,95 ea.) as sides. The potatoes were tasty, probably because I'm a cheese fanatic, but the mushrooms really amazed me. Again, in this very simple and au naturel dish, you can really taste that distinctive mushroom flavour in these big, meaty caps.


Finally, to celebrate my WAAAY early birthday, we received a slice of dark chocolate cake topped with a lit candle. (Does making a wish on a super early birthday work as well??)


I love dark chocolate cake with raspberry sauce, and I probably could've ate the entire cake if it had been sitting in front of me. It was smooth, dense, but not sugary (like those cakes from supermarkets), and you can taste the cocoa with every bite. Writing this right now makes me want to run back and devour a piece.

Overall, it was superb food and great service, but too bad I'm still a poor student. The whole meal, with a bottle of wine that was around $47, rounded up to $210 not including tips. Thank fully I had the anniversary gift cards that I bought for half price.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you should totally go to Etsu. It's quick and a great deal for lunch.
    As for Ruth's Chris - if you return, I recommend the T-bone, rare. Quite possibly the best steak I've ever had in a restaurant. Also, Mushrooms Stuffed with Crabmeat are decent there, although a bit too buttery for my taste. I agree that their mushrooms are great. Skip their asparagus :)

    ReplyDelete