Sunday, May 3, 2009

Not the Best Chicken of My Life

Although not a legit restaurant post, I feel like I should post this up just because it has almost turned into an inside joke from our graduation formal dinner, which took place in the 5-star Fairmont York Hotel near Front St. (http://www.fairmont.com/RoyalYork). The evening was great, I really enjoyed the company of all my friends, but the food was quite disappointing.

We were promised the best chicken of our lives as part of a four course meal prepared by a top chef at this famous hotel. Our first course was an assorted bread basket. Fair enough, bread is food. Then there was the cream of mushroom soup, which was somewhat salty and watery, but most people found it flavourful enough to enjoy it.

Then came the entre that we were all anticipating, which looked pretty good. But it was the driest piece of meat I've ever had. The vegetables around it were cooked just right and well flavoured, but the chicken....man....that chicken.... I've had a better time eating those rotisserie bbq chickens from grocery stores.

Lastly, there was the dessert, which had a layer of lemony ganache-like topping on a dark chocolate tart. As a person who enjoys dark chocolate and sour, fruit desserts, I liked it alright, but was disappointed by the canned fruits and low-quality jello that garnished the plate.


I understand we were a big party of 600 students who do not fit the profile of the restaurants' target clients, but considering the status of the venue, I was hoping for something a little better. I'm sure they have better selections during their normal service to keep people impressed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment